Monday, November 29, 2010

A visit to the ER


Olivia had her first (and hopefully her last) ambulance ride this morning. When I wasn't paying close attention, she had gotten into one of the kitchen cupboards (not unusual) and pulled out a couple of things. One item she pulled out happened to be a blade that went to a hand blender thing. It's not very big, but it's very sharp. I saw a few of the bowls she got out and didn't pay much attention to anything else. I was busy getting dinner into the crockpot and planning a trip to the mall to let the kids play at the play area. Just as we were getting ready to go, I went to do last minute diaper changes. Olivia started to scream. I still hadn't noticed anything unusual, she always screams when she doesn't want to be disturbed. It took me a few seconds to realize her foot had been cut. I had no idea what or how it happened. Logan had to show me the blade. When I took a better look at her foot, I realized this was bad...very bad. It had cut the bottom of her foot about a quarter of an inch deep and it was a long cut. I made some frantic calls to family to get help. Then I called 911 when I realized there was no way I could drive her to the ER while putting pressure on her foot. The EMT were quick to respond and we were on our way. Olivia loved the ride. She even got a stuffed animal from the crew. We got checked into the hospital and we were both well taken care of. I had my mother-in-law follow us there. I knew I wouldn't be able to handle this alone. It was nice to have that extra support. Olivia did very well. She was so brave during the entire time we were there (which was almost 5 hours). She received another stuffed animal from the volunteers that were going through the halls of the ER. The staff and volunteers were absolutely wonderful and made things easier to handle. I think I had a worse time of the whole ordeal than Olivia did. But several hours and 5 stitches later, we were on our way home. Once we got home Olivia was her happy little self. You wouldn't know she had gotten hurt, except for her hobbling around on her toes. She's a brave little thing. Much more so than I am.

1 comment:

Tiffiny said...

How scary! Hopefully you don't have to go through something like that again.