Thursday, March 3, 2011

New rules, new routines

I think we've finally overcome Logan's fear at bedtime. He now sleeps with the door open and primary music playing quietly in the background. It took us awhile to figure it out, but it works and I'm one happy mom. Naptime is another issue. He has started taking naps again, but they are usually on Logan's terms and not mine, sadly. Oh well, at least he gets rest every now and then.



A rule that has been (or least will be) established in this house is that if it's nice outside, meaning not freezing or raining, the kids will play in the backyard for at least 45 minutes. If it's cold, I'll be lenient and give it 30 minutes. It gives me a much needed break, and it gives them some fresh air. The kids love being outside, so I don't think this rule will be too hard to enforce.




There's nothing like playing basketball with a bouncy ball and soccer ball.



Another new rule in the house has become something along the lines of less TV during the day. I'll admit, I had it on all day long when we first moved. It kept the kids entertained while I unpacked. And then it was just habit to have it on all day. It's actually become quite a nuisance. So now, I try to have it off as much as possible. The kids do have their favorite TV shows that they can watch (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Handy Manny, and Yo Gabba Gabba) but other than that, we have been trying to find other things to do. It's not easy, but we're working on it and I have noticed a difference in my children's behavior.
Art projects have become a favorite. Logan loves to cut paper with his scissors. He can do it for hours if I let him. Olivia on the other hand, loves to color. I'm still working with her on making sure her colors are only on paper. One day she'll get it. I hope.



1 comment:

Jessica said...

Those are great rules! I had never thought of the backyard one, that is wonderful!