Monday, May 3, 2010

One horrible night

Last night was awful, terrible, unforgettable.

It started in the afternoon when another one of my migraines hit in full force. I have medicine for them, but try not to use it as one of the side effects is nightmares. Strange, but true. But I needed it, after all, it works. I went to bed pretty early and all was well...for a bit anyway.

Around 3am I woke up due to one of those nightmares. I was a bit freaked out to be honest and really had no desire to leave my bed, or to go back to sleep. I was pretty much wide awake for a bit. Around 3:30, just as I'm starting to doze off again, I hear "BEEP BEEP BEEP..." and I'm wondering "who has their alarm going off at 3:30 in the morning, that's just ridiculous." (thinking it was one of the neighbors.) After a few seconds, I realize that it is OUR house alarm getting ready to go off. I fly out of bed, forgetting my glasses, and start running down the stairs to turn it off before the alarm hits in full force. I was too late. Halfway down the stairs, the alarm starts shrieking! I freak out yet again, and continue down the stairs, on my back. Yup, I fell and slid to the bottom.

As I'm sliding down the stairs, I'm thinking to myself "Man, whoever is in this house is seriously gonna get it! No one breaks into my home and gets away with it!" Then I start thinking, "Good grief this alarm is loud, it better not wake up my babies." Yeah, not very logical thinking.

I got to the bottom of the stairs and start running to shut off the alarm, and then I made a mad dash through the house looking for the culprit. (Again, not very smart... I realize this now.) But no one is there, the door is still locked, and no windows are broken. The wind was howling though, so that is probably what triggered it to go off. Then I turn around and see Sam. I initially thought he was the burglar, but soon realized it was my husband. That's when I lost it, I just broke down in the middle of the dining room. I suddenly realized that I was completely stupid to just run downstairs the way I did. What if someone really had broken into our house. I just couldn't handle it. It had been too much. Nothing happened, and I'm so grateful for that. And, my kids slept through it all, thank goodness! It is something I never want to live through again, and hopefully we won't have to.

2 comments:

Christina said...

The sliding down the stairs was just the icing on the cake- I am sitting here laughing, but also feeling really bad that it happened to you!!!! I hope tonight is MUCH MUCH better!

Tiffiny said...

Whoa, what a night!! I'm glad everything turned out okay in the end. I would have been freaked out too! Sorry, but Christina was right. The part about sliding down the stairs is pretty funny!