Saturday, January 29, 2011

Whale Watching

So, it has only taken me forever to get to this post, but I wanted to share what we did on our last day in Maui. We spent the morning just chilling on the beach and then packing for our trip home. That evening though, we took a sunset whale watching cruise. It really was the best thing we did on our trip. I brought the wrong camera though and didn't get the pictures I wanted. But aside from that, Humpback whales are incredible! Some of the awesome things we saw:

A mother and her calf swimming alongside each other and flipping their tails out of water.
The calf is the first hump you see, and the mother is just behind.


Two whales breach at the same time. (Okay, Sam saw that, as did everyone else on the boat. I got stuck behind a really tall guy that blocked my view. I just saw one of them and didn't get my camera to take a picture in time. Awesome though.)
This is the splash they made when they went back in the water. I'm still upset with myself for missing them out of the water.


Whales and spinner dolphins swimming and playing together. It was just so neat to see. They were pretty far off in the distance so my camera didn't get any good shots. :(
This is just a picture of two whales blowing water. It was the closest we got to the whales.


The beautiful sunset. Watching the sun go down while on a boat in the middle of the Pacific ocean, it just doesn't get any better than that!
I wanted to get a picture of Sam and me together since it was our last night and we had absolutely no pictures of us, but my camera died just after this picture.



We also heard the whales singing to each other. The captain of the boat lowered something into the water that allowed us to listen to them. It was just amazing. I'm talking jaw-dropping amazing! It was fun to listen to the whales below us and watching them every now and then make an appearance out in the distance.

Research is currently going on about these amazing creatures. Even the guys on our boat couldn't tell us what was going on, but we definitely knew something was going on. There were so many whales and so many dolphins together. It was as if something magnificent or terrifying was going on below. We speculated that perhaps there were two males after a female and fighting. That's really all anyone could come up with. I'm so glad we went to see the whales. We almost missed out on the experience. It's definitely something I would like to do again, if we ever get a chance to go back.

No comments: